Skip to Main Content

Change of Major

All F-1 and J-1 students are admitted to the U.S. for a specific academic objective.  Your I-20 or DS-2019 reflects that objective by listing your degree and academic major.

  • F-1 Students: Review the first page of your document under “Program of Study.”
  • J-1 Students: Review the first page of your document under section four.

F-1 Student

If you are an F-1 undergraduate student, change of major is permitted and very normal! Sometimes you may start your studies with an undeclared major. Alternatively, you may decide to change your original major or even add a second major. Typically you will work with your advisor or department to submit a request to change your program of study.

If you are an F-1 graduate student and you decide to change your program of study, please contact ISSS. Unlike undergraduate students, this is considered a new degree program and more documentation may be needed to update your I-20.

When you change your major, ISSS is automatically notified. Our office will then update your electronic SEVIS record. However, we do not automatically issue a new I-20. Instead, we recommend that you wait and request an updated document when you next travel outside the United States.

To request a new I-20 reflecting your change of major

  1. Login to your InterLink account
    1. Click on the blue login button. Login with your Miami unique ID and password.
    2. Navigate to “F-1 Student Services” located on the left side of the menu.
  2. Complete the e-form “Travel Signature Request.”
    • Answer “yes” to the question about whether you have changed your major.

We will issue a new I-20 and email it to your Miami address.

J-1 Student

Change of major is problematic for all J-1 students.

If you are a J-1 student, regardless of whether you are a undergraduate, graduate, or even non-degree student, change of major can be problematic due to government regulations. Please consult with an ISSS advisor before taking action.

Frequently Asked Questions

I have changed my major but ISSS says they can’t update my form. Why?

Check your BannerWeb account to make sure that your new major is reflected in the university system. Please also make sure that your change of major has already taken effect and isn’t effective in a future semester.

I have added or changed my minor. Does my document need updated?

No, the government does not require that minors be listed on DS-2019 and I-20 forms.

International Students and Scholars

Sign-Up for Email Updates

Use the link below to sign up to receive emails from ISSS. Please note that if you are currently enrolled in Miami University courses as an international student or scholar, you will automatically be added to this list.

Sign up for Email Updates

Read Past Newsletters