Skip to Main Content

Information for Confirmed Students

Questions from Newly Admitted Students:

I have just been admitted, and want to register for classes, but don't know my Unique ID or Password, what do I do?

Go to the UniqueID Lookup website, this tool will assist you in looking up your unique ID. Additional instructions are available through IT Help. It will explain the default password and how to reset your password. If you still cannot register, please contact the IT Services Support Desk 513-529-7900. 

I am trying to register, but received the message "not in time slot or time ticket." What do I need to do?

You need to contact One Stop at or 513-529-0001.

What are some of the other reasons that I may not be able to register for classes?

You could have an Immunization Hold or Medical Hold.

If this is the case, you need to check with the Student Health Service to see if you need to provide information to them. Either way, they will have to remove the hold.

You could have a Final Transcript Hold.

If this is the case, you were admitted, "pending receipt of your final transcript." Students have until the end of their first term to provide a final official transcript. Students will be unable to register for any further classes until it has been received.

The final official transcript can be mailed to Miami University Graduate Admission, 301 S. Campus Avenue, Oxford, OH, 45056, or via Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse to

I was previously admitted as Graduate Non-Degree student but haven't taken any classes for a while, do I have to re-apply?

Unless it has been more than 5 years since you have registered for a class, you do not have to reapply. However, you do have to re-enroll because the system automatically makes you inactive whenever a term is skipped. To re-enroll, go to the Re-Enrollment website to complete the form and submit it. You will be notified by email once you have been reactivated by the Registrar's Office. 

I started a Graduate Degree Program and have not taken classes for a while, but would now like to finish the program. What do I need to do? 

If it has been 2 years since you last registered for a class, you will have to re-apply to the program and pay the application fee. You will also need to contact the department to see if they require additional information from you.

I am a newly admitted graduate student who has been living in Ohio. Will I be considered an Ohio resident for tuition purposes?

To learn about residency requirements and to apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes, please visit the OneStop website. If you would like to contact a residency officer directly, please send an email to

Questions from Newly Admitted International Students:

What information will be in my admission packet?

If you have already followed the instructions on your offer email and letter, you should receive your official admission packet soon. This packet will contain a printed copy of your official admission letter from the Graduate School, your visa documents (I-20 or DS-2019), as well as additional helpful information about your next steps and coming to campus. Please review the information carefully, since it covers issues such as securing your visa, obtaining your housing, and planning your arrival in Miami. The Office of International Students and Scholar Services ( issues these packets and can provide assistance if you have additional questions or concerns.

What final documents do I need to submit?

You must submit final documents to the Graduate School before the end of your first academic semester. This includes: 

  • Original/Official copies of your transcripts (literal English translation and original language)
  • Original/Official copies of your degree certificates and certificates of graduation, if applicable.
  • Official English proficiency test scores:
    • TOEFL scores need to be sent electronically by ETS and our school code is 1463.
    • IELTS and PTE scores need to be sent electronically using the following information:
      • Miami University Graduate School
        501 East High Street
        102 Roudebush Hall
        Oxford, OH 45056

Failure to submit these final documents will result in a hold placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for your second-semester courses.

What if I am unable to submit my final transcripts or official score reports immediately?

We understand that it is often difficult to receive these documents before you arrive, therefore we recommend that you submit any additional items that have been requested of you to us as soon as they are available. It is also acceptable for you to bring these documents with you and submit them to the Graduate School after your arrival. Please note that failure to submit original or official copies of you the required documents will result in a hold being placed on your account, and you will be unable to register for your second-semester courses until we receive them. If you are truly unable to secure an original or official copy of your documents, please contact the Graduate School at

Do I have to take any English placement tests when I arrive on campus?

New international students who have not earned a Bachelor's or graduate degree from an institution in the U.S. or an institution in a country where English is the official language are required to take a written English Placement Test (EPT) and the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test.

The results of the EPT test will determine whether or not you will be placed in the 3-credit hour English 119 course or a 4-credit hour ACE 107 course during your first semester at Miami. You will receive an email from the Graduate School shortly before your arrival which will tell you whether or not you will be required to take the EPT.

The results of the SPEAK test will determine whether or not you will be required to take the ACE 619 course in your first semester of study. Students who hold a graduate assistantship, are required by state law to have their spoken English abilities assessed before they can be assigned instructional duties. A grade of pass or conditional pass must be obtained before you can take on any teaching duties at Miami.

The times to take the EPT and SPEAK Tests are scheduled for you. You will be informed via your email regarding the dates and times to take the tests.

I am a newly admitted graduate student who has been living in Ohio for a few years. Will I be considered an Ohio resident for tuition purposes?

International students in certain non-immigrant visa categories are eligible to apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes. More information about Ohio residency and the residency application can be found on the OneStop website. If you would like to contact a residency officer directly, please send an email to

The Graduate School

The Graduate School is committed to advocating and supporting graduate programs dedicated to the pursuit of new knowledge and best teaching practices that promote diverse, globally aware graduate students and faculty.

Graduate Admission

Nellie Craig Walker Hall
301 S. Campus Avenue
Oxford, OH 45056