Skip to Main Content

International Application

Baccalaureate/Professional Degree

  • A cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75 out of 4.00
  • Applicants for graduate study must have earned at least a 4-year U.S. equivalent Baccalaureate degree. Typically, 16 years of schooling with four years of full-time study at the university level, culminating with the award of a first or second degree. Applicants must submit their academic record/transcript at the time of application. The Graduate School accepts unofficial transcripts at the time of application and does not require third-party credential evaluations.
  • Applicants admitted to Miami University must have an official final transcript from the Baccalaureate institution, and all courses attended after. Applicants must send official final transcripts directly to Miami University Graduate Admission, 301 S. Campus Avenue, Oxford, OH, 45056. Photocopies and notarized copies of academic records are not accepted as official. Documents can be certified as true copies by a U.S. Consular official or a recognized educational authority in the applicant's home country.
  • Records issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by a literal (not interpretive) certified English translation.
  • Miami University will consider the 3-year degree as equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree if the 3-year degree was earned in Division I and the awarding institution is accredited by India’s National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with a grade of “A” or better. For countries outside of India, applications will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Proof of English Proficiency

All international students must provide proof of English proficiency by meeting ONE of the following requirements:

  • Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in the U.S.
  • Bachelor's degree or higher, or are a citizen of one of the countries listed below.
  • Earned a minimum passing score on one of the below English language tests to be considered for regular admission:
    • TOEFL iBT ≥ 80
    • IELTS ≥ 6.5
    • PTE ≥ 54
    • Duolingo ≥ 110

Countries that do not require English Proficiency scores:

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia 
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize 
  • Bermuda 
  • British Guyana
  • Canada (except Quebec)
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica 
  • Eswatini
  • Falkland Islands (Isla Malvinas)
  • Fiji
  • Ghana 
  • Grenada 
  • Guam 
  • Guyana
  • Ireland 
  • Jamaica other West Indies
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Malawi
  • Monserrat
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • St. Helena
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent
  • Tanzania
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • United Kingdon
  • Virgin Islands
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

Additional Information:

  • Test scores are valid for two years and must be valid at the time of application.
  • Some departments may have a higher minimum score requirement.
  • Students who study at an institution where the language of instruction is in English but the country's official language is not English are required to submit English proficiency test scores.
  • Applicants must send an official Duolingo score report to Miami University - Oxford - Graduate Admissions for their application; Miami University will not accept unofficial scores.
  • The Graduate School accepts unofficial score reports for TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE with the application. Applicants must send an official score report prior to studying at Miami University.
  • Graduate students accepted for admission who had to submit an English Proficiency Test score are also required to take the English Placement Test (EPT) before they can register for classes. If a student does not pass the EPT, they must enroll in ENG 119 (English for International Graduate Students) or ENG 107 (Reading and Writing in Academic Contexts) during the first semester of admission. If they are offered and accept a graduate teaching assistantship, the student will also be required to take and pass the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test in order to start their assistantship; if the student does not unconditionally pass the test, they will have to enroll in ACE 619 (Speaking and Presentation for Graduate International Students) during the first semester of enrollment. More information and instructions for taking the EPT and SPEAK (if applicable) tests will be emailed to students before classes begin.

Conditional Admission

Some graduate programs may offer Conditional Admission to applicants with English scores below the minimum requirement. Students interested in Conditional Admission through the ACE-G or ELC program must provide English language proficiency test scores with their application.

Immigrant Documents

Financial documents are not required at the time of application. Once admitted, students must provide financial documentation (e.g., bank statement, assistantship contract, scholarship letter) prior to receiving immigration documents. The International Students and Scholar Services will process immigration documents once approved.

Please note: If you have been offered a Graduate Assistantship, International Grant-in-Aid, or an award from the university, you may be required to submit additional financial documentation.


Read answers to common questions our team receives from international students when applying to our Graduate School program.

How can I be considered for a Graduate Assistantship or other financial assistance from Miami University?

You can indicate you are interested in being considered for a graduate assistantship on the graduate school application; no additional application is required. Check with your program of interest to see which documents must be submitted to be considered for a graduate assistantship; some departments may require additional information and documentation. International students who are offered admission but are not offered an assistantship may be considered for an International Grants-in-Aid at the recommendation of the graduate program. Students awarded a Graduate Assistantship or an International Grant-in-Aid MUST provide financial affidavits to prove you can pay for the remaining tuition/fees and living expenses. The One Stop website has more detailed information about current costs under Tuition and Fees. Additional information regarding financial assistance is available under Funding and Awards.

How can I submit my official English Language Proficiency Scores?

  • For TOEFL scores, you can use our ETS Institutional Code 1463.
  • For IELTS and PTE scores, you should provide the following information when you request your scores from the testing centers:
    • Miami University Graduate Admissions
      301 Nellie Craig Walker Hall
      Oxford, OH 45056
  • For Duolingo test scores, use: Miami University - Oxford - Graduate Admission.

If I don't meet the minimum English requirements, can I apply for Conditional Admission?

Yes, conditional admission is available for some graduate programs. Students applying for conditional admission must provide English proficiency test scores.

I am an international student seeking to enroll in a fully online graduate program at Miami University. Can I do this?

Students may be considered for admission on a case-by-case basis to complete an online program from their country of residence. U.S. Online degree programs for international students are often subject to geographical restrictions. It is the international student’s responsibility to ascertain any special requirements in their home jurisdiction for (i) recognition of the online degree, licensure, certification, or employment in a specific field; (ii) any tax implications (e.g., withholding tax) in addition to the price of tuition; and (iii) understanding the process and reasons for collection of its data in its home jurisdiction.

International students who enroll in an online graduate program acknowledge and agree that the University’s online program is a certificate and/or degree accredited and only recognized in the USA and may not lead to any accreditation or recognition in their home jurisdiction.

International applicants interested in applying to one of Miami’s online graduate programs should contact Graduate Admission at about their intent before beginning the application process.

Suppose I am accepted for admission and have to submit proof of English proficiency in the admission process. Will I also be required to take any English placement tests before starting my graduate program?

New international students who have not earned a Bachelor's or graduate degree from an institution in the U.S. or an institution in a country where English is the official language are required to take a written English Placement Test (EPT) and the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test.

The EPT test results will determine whether you will be required to take the 3-credit hour English 119 course or a 4-credit hour ENG 107 course during your first semester at Miami. You will receive an email from the Graduate School shortly before your arrival telling you whether or not you will be required to take the EPT.

The results of the SPEAK test will determine whether or not you will be required to take the ACE 619 course in your first semester of study. Students who hold a graduate assistantship are required by state law to have your spoken English abilities assessed before you can be assigned instructional duties. You must obtain a grade of pass or conditional pass (the latter requires ACE 619 enrollment) before you can begin any teaching duties at Miami.

The times to take the EPT and SPEAK tests are scheduled for you. You will be informed via email regarding the dates and times to take the tests.

The Graduate School

The Graduate School is committed to advocating and supporting graduate programs dedicated to the pursuit of new knowledge and best teaching practices that promote diverse, globally aware graduate students and faculty.

Graduate Admission

Nellie Craig Walker Hall
301 S. Campus Avenue
Oxford, OH 45056