American Culture and English (ACE) Program
The American Culture and English (ACE) Program is Miami University's conditional admission program. It is intended for international students whose English language test scores fall just below the admissible level for admission to Miami, but who otherwise meet the requirements for admission.
- Enroll in 3-4 courses and earn 12-17 academic credits toward graduation in one semester (about 4 months).
- Receive conditional admission to Miami University-Oxford campus. Miami University-Oxford campus will issue an admission letter and I-20.
- Live in a residence hall on the Oxford campus with Miami students, participate in all aspects of college life, and have all the privileges and rights of other Miami students.
- Participate in programs only available to ACE Program students, such as excursions, special events, tutors, peer mentoring, and specialized advising.
- No need to retake the TOEFL or IELTS test after enrollment and the ACE Program is designed to enable undergraduate ACE students to graduate in 4 years, the same as other Miami students.
- Pay the same tuition, fees, housing, and meals rates as other international and out-of-state students at Miami plus a one-time program fee of $1000. This fee is used to cover the cost of special excursions and other co-curricular activities unique to ACE students.
- Offer of Miami's Tuition Promise: Upon completion of ACE, tuition, housing and meals, special purpose fees, and course fees will be frozen over the four years of a student's Miami experience.
- International RedHawk Grant: This grant is available to undergraduate students in the ACE program who complete ACE and then enroll as full-time undergraduate students on Miami's Oxford campus. After completing ACE, students will receive $2000 each semester that they maintain a 2.5 GPA. The grant is renewable for a maximum of eight undergraduate semesters, as long as students maintain the eligibility requirements.
- Opportunity to move to regular admission to Miami University - Oxford if the student can submit a new, acceptable English proficiency score before May 1 for fall applicants.
ACE 051: Academic English - Structure and Application (placement based on English proficiency at the start of the program).
ACE 112*: Advanced Communications Strategies
ACE 113*: Reading and Writing in Academic Contexts
AMS 205* (or equivalent): Introduction to American Culture Elective Courses
To move from conditional admission to full admission:
- ACE students must receive a B- or higher in each of the two required English language courses (ACE 112, ACE 113).
- ACE students must pass the required American Culture course (earn a C or higher).
*These courses are part of the ACE core curriculum.
English Proficiency Requirement for ACE Program
The ACE program accepts students with strong academic credentials who have English language scores in the following ranges:*
- TOEFL (Internet-based): 60-79
- IELTS overall band: 5.0-6.0 (no subject requirement)
- PTE Academic: 44-52
- ACT English: 18-20, SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 500-540 or ELS 109 EAP
- Gaokao English Subject: 115-124/150 or 95-99/120
- Suneung English Subject: 75-79
- Duolingo: 90-109
*SAT or ACT is not required for international students.
To apply to the ACE program, prospective students should apply via the regular Miami University application process for undergraduate international students. If you are admitted to the ACE program, you will follow the regular processes and procedures to enroll and accept your offer of admission.