Giancarlo Corti, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Idaho, 2006
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Idaho, 2001
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering,, Escuela Politécnica del Ejército, Sangolquí-Ecuador, 1999
- Micro and nano-electromechanical systems
Dr. Corti’s research interests and present work include scalable nanomanufacturing, nanomaterial reactors design, procedures, products, control and automation to transfer scientific breakthroughs into industrial applications. His emphasis is to overcome technological barriers that have impeded nanomaterial and nanostructure breakthroughs to become reliable systems and devices at an industrially relevant scale.
Current projects include; Improving the thermal exchange performance and reduce the water consumption of heat exchangers by improving dropwise condensation using silica nanospring coatings on the heat exchanger tubes while pursuing a fundamental analysis behind the behavior of “silica” nanosprings, increasing heat transfer. In the area of composite materials, we are developing a ceramic coating with a silica nanospring rebar for high temperature or flame protection of carbon or glass fiber epoxy-composite materials and developing a nanostructured surface based on titanium oxide to improve hydroxyapatite deposition and osteoblast proliferation.
He earned his Ph.D. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Idaho and B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from The Escuela Politecnica del Ejercito, Sangolqui Ecuador.
In the summer of 2006, as a post-doctoral fellow, he joined the research group of Dr. McIlroy at the Physics Department at the University of Idaho. He joined GoNano Technologies as Manager of Research and Development, in 2008. He was a Clinical Associate Faculty at Washington State University prior to joining Miami University in August 2015.
Years of Service on this Faculty
- Assistant professor, 2015–present
- Clinical Assistant Professor, School of MME, Washington State University, 2012–2015
- Manager of R&D, GoNano Technologies, Moscow, ID, 2008–2011
- Post Doctoral fellow and Cleanroom Manager, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Idaho, 2006–2008
- Research Assistant, Mechanical Engineering Dept., Univ. of Idaho, 2000–2004
- PTT (Petroleum Authority of Thailand), 2014&-Present
- MJ3 Industries Cataldo ID, 2013&-Present
- Cyrano Panadería, Quito &- Ecuador, 2013&-2014
Honors and Awards
- University of Idaho, Student International Leadership Award, 2005
- University of Idaho, John M. Bieber Scholarship, 2004
- University of Idaho Alumni Award of Excellence, 2003
- Escuela Politécnica del Ejército del Ecuador, Best Graduated ME Department, 1999
Institutional and Professional Service
- Referee of the IOP Nanotechnology Journal, since 2008.
- Referee of the Elsevier's Materials Science & Engineering books program, since 2014.
- Referee of the Energies a Journal of MDPI, since 2014.
- Member, School MME, WSU Experimental Lab and Safety Committee, 2013-2015
- Co-Advisor,Society of Latin Engineers and Scientist/Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, WSU, 2013-2015
- Designed and upgraded mechatronic laboratory, WSU Pullman and consultant for installation of the new mechatronic laboratory, WSU, Everett, 2013-2013
- Volunteer mechanic, U. of Idaho BikeBarn Program - International Friendship Association, 2001-2007
- A. F. Kengne, S. Karmakar, M. Kaura, V.V.R. Sai, G. Corti, I. Niraula, A. Larin, J. Hall, D. Sowell, P. Hrdlicka, V. Dobrokhotov, D. Mcilroy, "Self-Assembled Monolayers of Thiols Adsorbed on Au/ZnO-Functionalized Silica Nanosprings: Photoelectron Spectroscopy-Analysis and Detection of Vaporized Explosives," Appl. Mater. Inter. 2014.
- G. Corti, Y. Zhan, L. Wang, B.Hare, T. Cantrell, M. Beaux II, M; T. Prakash, M. Ytreberg, M. Miller, D. McIlroy, "Nanoscale Geometry and Spillover on Room Temperature Storage of Hydrogen on Silica Nanosprings" J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 2013.
- Y. P. Timalsina, J. Branen, J. Eilers, D. E. Aston, G. Corti, and D. N. McIlroy, "The role of the biofunctionalized silica nanosprings for selective biosensing," ABB, 1, 1 – 10, 2012.
- V. Dobrokhotov, L. Oakes, D. Sowell, A. Larin, J. Hall, A. Kengne, P. Bakharev, G. Corti, T. Cantrell, T. Prakash, J. Williams, and D. N. McIlroy, "Toward the nanospring-based artificial olfactory system for trace-detection of flammable and explosive vapors," Sensors Actuat. B-Chem., 168, 138–148, 2012.
- V. Dobrokhotov, L. Oakes, D. Sowell, A. Larin, J. Hall, A. Barzilov, A. Kengne, P. Bakharev, G. Corti, T. Cantrell, T. Prakash, J. Williams, L. Bergman, J. Huso, and D. McIlroy, "Thermal and Optical Activation Mechanisms of Nanospring-Based Chemiresistors," Sensors, 12, no. 5, 5608–5622, 2012.
- V. Dobrokhotov, L. Oakes, D. Sowell, A. Larin, J. Hall, A. Kengne, P. Bakharev, G. Corti, T. Cantrell, T. Prakash, J. Williams, and D. N. McIlroy, "ZnO coated nanospring-based chemiresistors," J. Appl. Phys., 111, no. 4, 044311, 2012.
- Y. P. Timalsina, J. Branen, D. E. Aston, K. Noren, G. Corti, R. Schumacher, and D. N. McIlroy, "Alternating current impedance spectroscopic analysis of biofunctionalized vertically-aligned silica nanospring surface for biosensor applications," J. Appl. Phys., 110, 014901, 2011.
- V. V. R. Sai, D. Gangadean, I. Niraula, J. M. F. Jabal, G. Corti, D. N. McIlroy, D. E. Aston, J. R. Branen, and P. J. Hrdlicka et al., "Silica Nanosprings Coated with Noble Metal Nanoparticles: Highly Active SERS Substrates," J. Phys. Chem. C, 115, no. 2, 453-459, 2011.
- K. F. Schilke, K. L. Wilson, T. Cantrell, G. Corti, D. N. McIlroy, and C. Kelly, "A novel enzymatic microreactor with Aspergillus oryzae β-galactosidase immobilized on silicon dioxide nanosprings," Biotechnol. Progr., 26, no. 6, 1597-1605, 2010.
- Y. P. Timalsina, D. Oriero, T. Cantrell, T. Prakash, J. Branen, D. E. Aston, K. Noren, S. Rastogi, D. N. McIlroy, G. Corti, "Characterization of a vertically aligned silica nanospring-based sensor by alternating current impedance spectroscopy," J. Micromech. Microeng., 20, no. 9, 095005, 2010.
- T. Anderson, U. Manubarthi, G. Corti, and M. Anderson, "Response prediction of switched inductor/piezoelectric vibration suppression," Smart Mater. Struct., 16, 135-139, 2007.
- B. Barnes, R. Wells, T. Assefi, M. Mojarradi, R. Crawford, A. Paszczynski, Q. Lang, D. Erwin, L. Allenbach, G. Corti, T. Anderson, F. Cheng, C. Wai, "Measurement of Microbial Activity in Soil by Colorimetric Observation of in Situ Dye Reduction: an Approach to Detection of Extraterrestrial Life," BMC Microbiol., 2, no. 22, 2002.
- L. Allenbach, L. D. Erwin, T. Assefi, M. Mojarradi, Q. Lang, F. Cheng, C. Wai, A. Pasczynski, R. Crawford, B. Barnes, T. Anderson, R. Wells, G. Corti, "Supercritical Fluid Extraction and High-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Diode Array-Electrochemical Detection of Signature Redox Compounds from Sand and Soil Samples," Anal. Biochem., 301, no. 2, 225-234, 2002.
- L. Allenbach, L. D. Erwin, J. Park, T. Assefi, M. Mojarradi, R. Crawford, A. Paszczynski, Q. Lang, F. Cheng, B. Barnes, T. Anderson, G. Corti, R. Wells, C. Wai, "In Search of the Molecules of Life," Icarus, 154, no. 2, 531-539, 2001.
- G. Corti, T. Cantrell, M. F. Beaux II, T. Prakash, D. N. McIlroy, and G. Norton, "Nanostructured Photocatalytic Approach to CO2 Conversion," Microtech Conference & Expo, Anahein, 2010.
- G. Corti, T. Cantrell, M. F. Beaux II, D. N. McIlroy, and G. Norton, "Next Generation Nanospring-Enhanced Catalytic Converters," Nanotech Conference & Expo, Anaheim, CA, 2010.
- G. Corti, L. Wang, D. Major, J. Jabal, L. Branen, J. Nagler, E. Aston, G. Norton, and D. McIlroy et al., "Nanospring-Based Biosensors for Electrical DNA Microarrays," Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 2007, vol. 1010, V05-03.
- D. C. Hyatt, T. Cantrell, M. Yahvah, G. Norton, D. N. McIlroy, and G. Corti, "Use of Silica Nanosprings in an Enzyme-Based Continuous Flow Reactor," Microtech conference & Expo, Boston, 2011.
- T. Prakash, O. Marín-Flores, T. Cantrell, G. N. Norton, D. N. McIlroy, and G. Corti, "Carbon Capture and Recycling by photocatalysts supported on Silica Nanosprings," Nanotech conference and Expo, Boston, 2011.
- V. V. R. Sai, I. Niraula, J. Branen, D. N. McIlroy, D. Gangaden, P. J. Hrdlicka, G. Corti, D. E. Aston "Au and Ag nanoparticle coated silica nanosprings: characterizarion of SERS-active materials and detection of DNA from biological threat agents," 65th NW and 22nd Rocky Mountain Regional Meeting of the ACS, Pullman, WA, 2010.
- V.V. R. Sai, D. Gangaden, I. Niraula, G. Corti, D. N. McIlroy, D. E. Aston, J. Branen, P. J. Hrdlicka, "Characterization of Au and Ag nanoparticle coated silica nanosprings - toward SERS based diagnostic applications,"Nanotech Conference & Expo, Anaheim, CA, 2010.
- G. Norton, D. N. McIlroy, G. Corti, and M. A. Miller, "Silica Nanosprings – A Novel Nanostructured Material for Hydrogen Storage," Clean Technology, Houston, 2009, 202-205.
- D. N. McIlroy, G. Corti, T. Cantrell, M. F. Beaux II, T. Prakash, and G. Norton, "Engineering High Surface Area Catalysts for Clean Tech Applications," Clean Technology, Houston, 2009, 195-198.