Jinjuan She, Ph.D.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, with Minor in Statistics, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2013
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China, 2009
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China, 2007
- Design theory and methodologies
- Human-technology interactions
- Consumer decision-making
- Sustainable design
- Cognitive learning in engineering class
Dr. Jinjuan She joined the Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Department at Miami University in 2019 as an assistant professor.
Dr. She earned her Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering and a minor in Statistics from Iowa State University in December 2013. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Design and Manufacturing (2007) and Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (2009) both from Wuhan University, China.
After graduation, she worked in industry for about 5 years, with a focus on human-centered design, at INVIA Medical Imaging Solutions and MATHWORKS.
She conducts design research at the intersection of engineering and psychology, interests include: design theory and methodologies, human-product/technology interactions, consumer decision making, sustainable design, and cognitive learning in engineering class.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Miami University, Oxford, OH, Sep. 2019–Present
- User Experience Specialist, The MathWorks, Natick, MA, Sep. 2016–June 2019
- User Experience Designer & Researcher, INVIA Medical Imaging Solutions, Ann Arbor, MI, Apr. 2014–Sep., 2016
- Postdoc Research Associate, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA, Jan. 2014–Apr. 2014
*denotes the corresponding author
- She, J.*, Neuroff, J., and Yuan, Q., 2021, “Shaping Pedestrians’ Trust in Autonomous Vehicles: An Effect of Communication Style, Speed Information, and Adaptive Strategy”, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design , 143(9), 091401.
- She, J. *, Islam, M., Zhou, F., 2021, “The Effect of Dynamic Speed Information and Timing of Displaying eHMI on Automated Vehicle and Pedestrian Interactions”, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference , Virtual, Aug. 17-20.
- Belanger, E., Bartels C., She, J. *, 2021, “Challenges and Strategies in Remote Design Collaboration During Pandemic: A Case Study”, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference , Virtual, Aug. 17-20.
- She, J. *, 2020, “Advisory and Adaptive Communication Improves Trust in Autonomous Vehicle and Pedestrian Interaction”, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference , St. Louis, MO, Aug. 16-19.
- Gu, J., She, J., and Yue, Y.*, 2020, “Micro/Nanoscale Thermal Characterization Based on Spectroscopy Techniques,” ES Energy & Environment .
- She, J.* and MacDonald, E., 2018, "Exploring the Effects of a Product's Sustainability Triggers on Pro-environmental Decision-making," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design , 140, 011102.
- J. She , C. Seepersad, K. Holtta-Otto, and E. MacDonald*, 2018, "Priming Improves Product Design," In H. Plattner et al. (Eds.), Design Thinking Research: Understanding Innovation , 249-270, publisher: Springer.
- She, J., Zeng, Y.*, 2016, “Cross-Disciplinary Design Methodology”, Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science , 20(3).
- MacDonald, E.* and She, J, 2015, "Seven Cognitive Concepts for Successful Eco-Design," Journal of Cleaner Production , 92, 23-36.
- She, J. * and MacDonald, E., 2014, "Priming Designers to Communicate Sustainability," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design , 136(1), 011001.
- MME 435 Manufacturing Competitiveness, Miami University (Fall 2019, Fall 2020)
- MME 201 Design and Modeling, Miami University (Spring 2020, Summer 2020, Fall 2020)
- ECE/MME 610 Graduate Seminar, Miami University (Spring 2020)
Lab Instructors and Teaching Assistants
- ME 370 Engineering Measurement and Instrumentation, Iowa State University (Fall 2009, Spring 2010)
- ME 423/523 Creativity and Imagination in Engineering Design, Iowa State University (Fall 2011)
- ME 270 Introduction to Mechanical Engineering Design, Iowa State University (Fall 2012, Spring 2013)
- ASME Journal of Mechanical Design
- Design Science
- Journal of Cleaner Production
- Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science
- ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference (IDETC)
- ACM Computer Human Interaction Conference (CHI)
- ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS)
- ACM Interaction Design and Children Conference (IDC)
Conference Session Chair / Co-Chair
- ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conference (IDETC Design Theory and Methodology Program, 2020, 2021)
- Faculty Search Committee Member, Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, 2020 Fall.
- Engineering design ad hoc committee, 2020 Fall.