Student Success

Family motivates Cody Glaser to succeed

Married father of three, veteran set to graduate cum laude from Miami Regionals in May

Cody Glaser and family
Cody Glaser, wife Morgan, and three boys, Elias, Noah, and Oliver.
Student Success

Family motivates Cody Glaser to succeed

After serving in the military for 10 years, one would assume Cody Glaser had seen and experienced a lot. Then came his internship at Miami University Regionals.

“My internship focused on exports and required me to complete a course at the University of Dayton,” said Glaser, who will graduate in May with a degree in Small Business Management. “When I completed the course, I was assigned to a small business in Ohio – Spirits on Ice – that wanted to reach the global market. I helped them identify potential markets and ship their product, Spirit Ice Vice.”

Through his connections with his father’s construction company, Glaser has helped the company, which manufactures distiller-branded and consumer ice ball machines for restaurants, pubs, and personal bars, sell two machines at a charity event.

Glaser, a native of Piqua who now resides in Hamilton has spent the past four years as a sergeant in the U.S. Amy Reserve as a human resources specialist, after serving overseas as an infantryman for his first six years. A first-generation college student, he and his wife, Morgan, are parents to three boys, Elias, 6, Noah, 4, and Oliver, 3. He readily admits that taking care of them is his motivation to succeed.

“Balancing my life is very difficult as I often have to sacrifice my time to ensure that I complete assignments and take care of my family,” Glaser said. “There have been many times when I have done assignments until 11 p.m. and had to wake up at 6 a.m. to get my kids ready for school or wake up on a Saturday at 3 a.m. to go to drill and lead soldiers. They do motivate me as I want them to be able to one day attend college as a traditional second-generation student and not have to worry about student debt.”

Glaser chose to continue his education at Miami University Regionals after completing his associate degree online at Colorado Technical University. 

“I wanted more of a challenge. The campus is close to home, allowing me to participate in online and in-person courses. The professors have been very military friendly and gave me extra time when needed,” he continued. “I have to attend military schools and have drills once a month and I am always given time if needed. Dr. (Chen) Ferguson and Assistant Lecturer Chamina Curtis were both very helpful and actually cared about my education and future.”

Upon graduating cum laude, Glaser hopes to pursue a career in exports or consulting while continuing his military service, with an eye toward Officer Candidate School.