student graphic work displayed in atrium

Alumni Hall

Since 1972, the Department of Architecture has been located in Alumni Hall, originally designed and constructed as the University's Alumni Memorial Library in 1909, the first centennial year of the institution. It became home for the Department when the University's new King Library was opened.

Alumni Hall is noted for its splendid neo-classical form, including a domed rotunda which is used by the Department for receptions, awards ceremonies, and, on occasion, the Beaux-Arts Ball. Alumni Hall houses the Department's administrative and faculty offices, fully outfitted studios, lecture and seminar rooms, galleries for exhibits and reviews, the Wertz Art and Architecture Library, a fully equipped woodshop, and a digital fabrication facility.

In October 1991, the State Architects Office announced a capital project for the renovation and expansion of Alumni Hall. In the spring of 1992, Hammond Beeby & Babka of Chicago were selected as design consultants in association with The Collaborative, Inc., of Toledo. Construction commenced in the winter off 1994–95. The cost of the project was $9.2 million with another $1 million invested in furnishings. The Department returned to Alumni Hall in the summer of 1997.

The renovation expanded and reorganized 43,000sf of existing space as studios, shops, galleries, classrooms, and research facilities while improving circulation in and through the building. A new facade oriented to the south encloses a 32,000sf addition, half of which houses the W.W. Wertz Art and Architecture Library.