Department History

photo of students inspecting a piece of equipment

The MME Department traces its origin to 1959 when the School of Applied Science (SAS) was formed. During that period, there was a broad nationwide understanding that education in technological areas needed to be enhanced and available to more citizens. As demonstrated in the timeline below, there has been steady growth in the department’s facilities, programs, and technological level.  

June 5, 1959

  • Miami’s Board of Trustees approved the Resolution, R60-6, to create a new academic division, the School of Applied Science. Its main focus was to search for the application of knowledge, citizenship, and professional development.  The newly-formed Department of Industrial Technology, (a branch of the existing Industrial Arts Education program of the School of Education) offered courses leading to a Bachelor of Science degree. In announcing the new School, President John Millet said: “In… industrial arts …, we are observing greater need for serving those who do not wish to meet the requirements for teaching. Industry tells us that it is has a particular need for persons at the semi-professional level of engineering, and it is this need which prompted us to offer the curriculum in Industrial Technology.” George Bowers becomes the SAS Director and department chair.

1959-1963

  • The courses of SAS programs were selected from other Miami departments with over 50% from the College of Arts and Science. These courses were grouped in unified curricula that made up the School’s first program in Industrial Technology. The faculty who taught these courses were appointed from other Miami departments and until 1963 when the first faculty members were hired specifically to teach SAS courses.

1969

  • Student chapter of Society of Manufacturing Engineers founded.

1971

  • Department of Industrial Technology changes its name to Engineering Technology. Jerry DiPalma becomes department chair.

1972-1973

  • The SAS Advisory Council is founded.

1973

  • The department moves to its home in the newly-renovated Kreger Hall. The building’s namesake, Dr. Clarence Kreger, was a principal proponent of the founding of SAS.
  • Tony Esposito becomes department chair.

1981

  • The department changes its name from Engineering Technology to Manufacturing Engineering.

1990

  • Manufacturing Engineering program receives its first accreditation.

1992

  • Engineering Management with Manufacturing Engineering (EGM) specialty degree program created. Don Byrkett becomes acting chair.

1993

  • Bruce Bardes becomes department chair.

1994

  • Student chapter of Society of Women Engineers founded. First EGM students graduate.

1995

  • Osama Ettouney becomes department chair.

1997

  • Student chapter of Society of Plastics Engineers founded.

1999

  • Manufacturing Engineering program receives accreditation under ABET 2000 criteria. The division changes its name to the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

2003

  • The department name changes to Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering.
  • The first class of Mechanical Engineering degree students graduate.

2005

  • Mechanical Engineering degree program receives first accreditation.

2006-2008

  • The department moves to it new home in the Engineering Building.

2009

  • The first class of Computational Science and Engineering Master’s degree program matriculate.

2010

  • Tim Cameron becomes department chair.

2013

  • The division changes its name to the College of Engineering and Computing.

2014

  • Master’s degree program name becomes Master of Science in Computational Mechanical Engineering. 

2015

  • Master’s degree program name becomes Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering.

2017

  • The department expands into new facilities in Hughes Hall