Sports Analytics Certificate and Summer Academy
- Examine the purpose and application of data analytics in sport.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key techniques and theory used in sport data visualization.
- Apply programming languages and analytics procedures to provide solutions to contemporary issues in sport.
- Use appropriate techniques for regression modeling using programming languages with sport-based databases.
A minimum 2.0 GPA is required for all courses in the certificate. Courses must be taken for a grade (not credit/no credit). Students planning to complete this certificate should consult with a faculty advisor in the Sport Leadership and Management program. This certificate is open to all university students. Students may not earn an undergraduate Certificate in Sport Analytics and a Sport Analytics Minor.
- SLM 275 - Introduction to Sport Analytics (3)
- SLM 314 - Sport Analytics I (3)
- SLM 315 - Sport Analytics II (3)
- SLM 317 - Sport Analytics III (3)
*Sport Analytics Certificate courses (SLM 314, 315, 317) will only be offered during the Sport Analytics Summer Academy.
Sport Analytics Summer Academy (SASA)
The Sport Leadership and Management (SLAM) program offers a Sport Analytics Summer Academy (SASA). SASA is a four-week, on-campus summer program designed to engage students, sport business leaders, and community members with an understanding of how sport organizations analyze, interpret, and communicate data efficiently and effectively in sport. Classes are taught by Miami University faculty from SLAM and the Farmer School of Business. Students who attend SASA will develop skills in applying database management, regression analysis, and data visualization in the sport-based environment applicable to those seeking careers in the fields of sport management, coaching, business analytics, and performance analysis. The SASA is open to all Miami University students and employees.
Upon completion of the summer academy participants will have:
- Completed a real-world data analytics project, working with our partners in professional sport or collegiate athletic programs.
- Attended guest lectures and networked with leading sport analytics professionals.
- Learned of sport analytics internship and career opportunities arranged specially for SASA participants.
- Become part of a cohort of sport analytics enthusiasts ready to change the fields of sport management, coaching, and business analytics in sport.