Free Application for Federal Student Aid
To receive consideration for all federal and state funds and need-based scholarships, you need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) directly to Federal Student Aid. This is available to complete online. However, if you prefer, you can complete a paper FAFSA by requesting the form from Federal Student Aid (800-433-3243).
Basic Federal Financial Aid Eligibility Criteria:
- Students must not have been convicted of an offense involving either the possession or sale of illegal drugs that occurred while receiving Title IV aid.
- Students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens as defined on the FAFSA.
- Students must be registered for Selective Service, if required.
- Students must be working toward a degree in an eligible program.
- Students must be able to demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans).
- Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress each academic year.
- Students must certify that they are not in default on any federal student loan or owe a refund on a federal grant.
- Students must have a valid Social Security Number (unless student is from the Republic of Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau).
- Students must certify that they will use federal student financial aid only for educational purposes.
Miami recommends that all applicants submit the FAFSA, regardless of their financial need, as our standards for determining need are much more generous than federal standards. The FAFSA must be completed each year.
Filing the FAFSA with the U.S. Department of Education is free of charge, so be wary of any organization that requires a fee for this service. The official website to submit a FAFSA is www.fafsa.gov.
For a quick overview, see FAFSA Application Tips and the financial aid calendar.
Miami's Federal School Code is 003077.