Skip to Main Content
Excellence and Expertise

Douglas Hart receives 2023 Excellence in Service Award

"In this division we all help each other out when there is a need," says Doug Hart, the recipient of this year's Excellence in Service award.

Doug Hart, Pilot Paper Lab Coordinator & Technician
Doug Hart is Lab Manager at Miami University's Pilot Paper Lab. He has been with Miami over 30 years.
Excellence and Expertise

Douglas Hart has worked as a Lab Manager at Miami University for over three decades. This year, he was awarded the Excellence in Service award for his commitment to providing the highest level of service to students, faculty, and staff at CEC. Read on to discover more about Doug's work with Miami's state-of-the-art Pilot Paper Machine, what he likes most about working with students, and how he collaborates with Miami faculty and staff.

What do you do here at Miami? How long have you been doing that?

My job title is Lab Manager. I oversee undergraduate labs and help the faculty with any changes in their labs that they need. I run the Pilot Paper Machine for our department and also for outside Contract Research, where companies pay to try new ideas on our small machine before possibly going to the next level with their concepts. I have been in this same position for over 36 years.

What's special about Miami's Pilot Paper Machine?

Our Paper Machine is small enough that we can make changes relatively quickly and develop ways to run new and interesting products. I have been able to work with companies that can't mention what we are making at the time, but within a few years there have been products developed that had a start here on our Paper Machine. 

What do you like about the role? Do you like what you do?

I have to say that the Department Chairs that I have worked under, Dr. Chris Peterson, Dr. Bill Scott, Dr. Don Byrkett, Dr. Shashi Lalvani and the current Chair, Dr. Keith Hohn have been the best leaders that I can imagine. I have been able to be at every sporting event that my two girls were involved in, and I have never missed any of my grandson's events because of work. Through the 36 years each one has always stressed that family matters are more important than what goes on here at work.

I enjoy working with students and the Outreach programs that this department hosts. There's nothing like the energy of younger kids to keep things interesting.

I have been able to work with some incredible Miami students and it's good to hear that they are doing well in their careers. I try to be available to them for both school related and non-school related conversations. 

Do you collaborate with other departments? How do you do that?

In this division we all help each other out when there is a need. There are areas of expertise in this building where I can walk in and ask for help on problems that they are more experienced in, and I am open to helping them with anything I can.

I have to say that our Instrumentation Lab has been incredible with keeping our equipment running and with helping us develop new additions for our equipment.

The Physical Facilities (Electricians, Plumbers, Trucking Crew) groups have helped me out in so many ways and I am thankful for those that are here now and those that have worked and helped me out in the past. 

How does it feel to have won the 2023 Excellence in Service Award?

It was nice to know that some of the faculty had written letters nominating me for this award. There are some incredible people that I have worked with throughout the years.