English Language Proficiency

All international students must provide proof of English proficiency by meeting ONE of the following requirements:

  • You have earned a Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited university in the US
  • You have earned a Bachelor's degree or higher from or are a citizen of one of the countries listed below:
List of Countries
Country Country Country
Anguilla Ghana South Africa
Antigua and Barbuda Grenada St. Helena
Australia  Guam St. Kitts and Nevis
Bahamas Guyana St. Lucia
Barbados Ireland St. Vincent
Belize Jamaica other West Indies Swaziland
Bermuda Kenya Tanzania
British Caribbean West Indies Lesotho Trinidad and Tobago
British Guyana Liberia Turks and Caicos Islands
Canada (except Quebec) Malawi United Kingdom
Cayman Islands Montserrat Virgin Islands
Dominica New Zealand Zambia
Falkland Islands (Isla Malvinas) Nigeria Zimbabwe
Fiji Sierra Leone
  • You have earned a minimum passing score on one of the below English language tests to be considered for regular admission:
English Language Tests
Test/Program Minimum Score
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 80
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.5
Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic 54
Duolingo (Official) 110
  • Some departments may have a higher minimum score requirement.
  • Students interested in Conditional Admission through the ACE-G or ELC program, must provide English language proficiency test scores with their application.
  • Graduate students accepted for admission who had to submit an English Proficiency Test score are also required to take the English Placement Test (EPT) before they can register for classes. If a student does not pass the EPT, they must enroll in ENG 119 (English for International Graduate Students) or ENG 107 (Reading and Writing in Academic Contexts) the first semester of admission. If they are offered and accept a graduate teaching assistantship, the student will also be required to take and pass the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test in order to start their assistantship; if the student does not unconditionally pass the test, they will have to enroll in ACE 619 (Speaking and Presentation for Graduate International Students) during the first semester of enrollment. More information and instructions for taking the EPT and SPEAK (if applicable) tests will be emailed to students before classes begin.