Medical Q and A

Miami's Student Health Services provides comprehensive outpatient care to all eligible students, including limited Saturday hours. However, because students can require treatment during non-business hours, we have provided the following questions and answers. Miami does not endorse any of these providers, nor does Miami assume any responsibility or liability for any services of listed providers.

Can my student give me permission to speak with health providers at the Student Health Service?

Yes, students can give permission for Student Health to speak with a parent, family member, or other person by completing the Involvement of Care form in the Student Health Service.

Some families also work with their student to complete a medical power of attorney for instances where the student cannot speak or make decisions for themself.

Where can students receive urgent/emergency treatment when the Student Health Center is closed?

When the Student Health Center is closed, students can seek treatment at the Oxford Urgent Care Clinic, 5151 Morning Sun Rd, or McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital, 110 N. Poplar St. (1-1/2 blocks north of High St.).

What if it's not an emergency?

During normal business hours, students can seek treatment with the following health care providers. (Some also have limited evening and weekend hours.)

What transportation is available?

In the case of a life-threatening emergency, call 911. For other transportation to Oxford locations, students can use the Butler County Regional Transit Authority bus service.

Where can students receive treatment when even services with limited evening and weekend hours are closed?

Students should go to the Emergency Department at McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital or to the closest hospital Emergency Department.

What if mental health counseling is needed?

Miami's Student Counseling Service is located on campus. If the student prefers off-campus service or if service is needed when Student Counseling is closed, the Student Counseling Service includes a list of Community Counseling resources

What pharmacies are located in Oxford?

Students are encouraged to use any of the local pharmacies located just off campus in Oxford. A list is below.

  • CVS: 123 W Spring St., 513-523-6378
  • Walgreens: 200 S Locust St., 513-523-4683
  • Kroger: 300 S Locust St., 513-523-7323
  • Walmart: 5720 College Corner Pike, 513-524-3744

*If your student is a registered customer of any of these pharmacies in your home town, investigate if it is possible to fill/refill prescriptions at the Oxford location.