Miami students can find many opportunities (in all academic disciplines) to conduct research and creative scholarship away from campus.
Follow the links to explore ORU's partnerships with various organizations that support undergraduate research, or visit the Center for Career Exploration and Success website.
Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR)CUR was founded in 1978 by a group of chemists from private liberal arts colleges who wanted to provide information about research that was being conducted at liberal arts colleges by faculty, often in collaboration with students. Today, members include nearly 10,000 individuals and over 650 colleges and universities.
- CUR believes that faculty members enhance their teaching and contribution to society by remaining active in research and by involving undergraduates in research.
- CUR defines Undergraduate Research as "An inquiry or investigation conducted by an undergraduate student that makes an original intellectual or creative contribution to the discipline".
- CUR supports and promotes high-quality undergraduate student-faculty collaborative research and scholarship. In 2010, the National Council of Undergraduate Research (NCUR) combined with CUR to be the national voice for undergraduate research.
Contact Miami's CUR Liaison
Coordinator of Undergraduate Research
National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (NSF-REU)
How do you Find and Apply for Summer Research Experiences?
Search PathwaysToScience.org to explore/search for STEM opportunities and review these tips in the ToolBox *Searching for a Program: Great Online Search Tools *Creating a Winning Application *Writing Strong Essays and Personal Statements *Getting Strong Letters of Recommendation
Search National Science Foundation REU Sites Directory by subject areas for contact information and details about applying to these summer opportunities hosted by colleges and universities:
What is Summer Research?
Mentored research experience that offers undergraduates a meaningful collaboration working with researchers conducting ongoing research programs or projects. Most programs offer a stipend and many cover travel and housing as well.
Why Should you Apply?
- Build your academic foundation and your professional skills.
- Get hands-on experience in the lab or in the field.
- Explore fields of interest.
- Make valuable connections with faculty.
- Enjoy travel, new friends, and fun!
- A stepping stone to graduate school.
Email UndergradResearch@MiamiOH.edu for more information about NSF undergraduate research experiences.