Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology
The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology at Miami University was founded in 1948 as a means to offer a wide range of academic opportunities for students interested in the field of communication disorders, which include many areas such as hearing loss, delayed speech and language development, stuttering, hoarseness, and problems with articulation.
We offer undergraduate and graduate students opportunities to provide individual speech and hearing services in the Miami University Speech and Hearing Clinic, conduct original research, participate in national conferences, and obtain field experience anywhere in the country.
Mission and Goals
The Miami University Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology (SPA) is committed to helping students develop superior critical thinking and clinical skills through an integration of academic information with research and clinical experience. These clinical skills will also serve the speech, language, and swallowing, and hearing needs of the individuals in our community.
The specific goals of the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology are to:
- Offer undergraduate courses in speech pathology and audiology to prepare students to engage successfully in graduate or professional study in speech and hearing or other fields.
- Offer graduate courses to produce speech-language pathologists who have the academic foundation and advanced clinical skills needed for the delivery of services in the field.
- Enhance opportunities for research and scholarship for faculty members and students.
- Effectively serve members of the community and surrounding areas through a culture of collaboration and respect for others.
The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology offers a wide range of academic opportunities for students interested in the field of communication disorders. Communication disorders include many areas such as hearing loss, delayed speech and language development, stuttering, hoarseness, and problems with articulation. The comprehensive clinical service program in speech-language and audiology clients within the university and the southwest Ohio community provides excellent experience in direct patient contact.
Speech and Hearing Clinic
The Miami University Speech and Hearing Clinic is housed within our department offering full speech and audiological services to the community.
Our students benefit from their direct involvement with patients in our clinic.
American Sign Language Courses
We are very excited to offer courses in American Sign Language to undergraduate students.
Completion of SPA 202 (Intermediate Sign Language II) fulfills the College of Arts and Science Foreign Language Requirement.
When searching the Miami course list, use “Speech Pathology & Audiology” for the subject and “ASL” for the title.
The field of Communication Sciences and Disorders is a rapidly growing area of basic and applied research combined with clinical development. The interdisciplinary nature of the field draws from such diverse disciplines as physics, biology, engineering, psychology, linguistics, medicine, and philosophy. Students can focus in one specific area or create an education plan and training that encompasses a range of communicative disorders.
Clinical Health Sciences and Wellness Building
The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology has moved to its new home, a 165,000 square foot building that is housing the Nursing, Speech Pathology and Audiology, and Physician Associate programs from two colleges, CAS and CLAAS.
The Nursing program consists of a cohort size expected to grow to 160 per year.
The Physician Associate program has a planned cohort size of 36 with the ability to grow to 60.
Speech Pathology and Audiology, with a current cohort of 29, looks to increase that number to 36.
The building also houses the TriHealth Student and Employee Health Services clinics, Student Counseling Services, and the Speech and Hearing Clinic.
Other Services include:
- The Miami Office of Student Wellness. A wellness studio is included for promotional functions.
- SIVEO: Sexual and Interpersonal Violence Education and Outreach. This center holds the staff for the SIVEO Prevention Coordinator, OVW Grant Coordinator, and (2)Women Helping Women Advocates.
- Cafe, kitchenettes for access by students, and vending
- Healing Garden
- Group Study Rooms, Interprofessional Lounges, and a variety of study and seating throughout the facility.
- Wet/Dry Trainer Lab (LL) for PA program skills training.
- Innovation Lab (LL): Anatomage Tables (high tech virtual anatomy training)
- Nursing and PA Diagnostic Skills Labs (3rd floor)
- Speech and Audiology Research Labs (3rd Floor):
- Dysphasia, Neurocognitive, Literacy, Speech Science, Sign Language, Later Language and growth for 3 new research initiatives.
In the News
Hannah Seinfeld, Miami University Speech Pathology and Audiology major, selected as winner of the 2022 Provost Student Academic Achievement Award.
Give to the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology
Please consider providing support to our department. We are always looking for more clinical practicum supervisors for our graduate students and many of our students are interested in completing their summer 10-week externship outside of the region. Our undergraduate students are always eager to hear about opportunities for internships and volunteering in their hometowns.
Financial support directed to our department provides research and conference travel opportunities for our students. We have also been able to purchase new and updated instrumentation from the support of our donors.