Student Success Excellence and Expertise

Mark Lacker receives nearly two dozen commendations from graduating students

Each year, the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) at Miami University asks graduating students to complete a survey regarding their educational experience at Miami. Students are asked to identify faculty or staff members who "... made a positive impact on their learning and development while at Miami."

Farmer School of Business Clinical Professor Mark Lacker (MU '79 in Management), the John W. Altman Clinical Professor of Entrepreneurship, received 22 Faculty Staff Commendations for his impact on students during the AY2021 academic year.

One of Mark's students had this to say:
“Mark is one of the best professors I've ever had. Besides his altogether welcoming and warm personality, he truly pushes me to be a better student, professional, and friend to all through his passion and vigor for what he teaches and for his own students. He is so easy to get along with and is so good at pointing out your strengths as well as what you need to improve on. He relates his lessons to his student's own lives and empathizes with each individual he works with.”

Another student talked about Mark's impact on his/her undergraduate journey at Miami:
"Mark was not only a phenomenal and passionate professor but he went above and beyond for his students. I was feeling lost in my academics junior year and was frustrated with the path I had put myself on and felt stuck. Throughout this process, Mark helped me navigate my two internship offers and realign my academics with my desired career path."

Mark’s effectiveness in the classroom has been recognized consistently by students. He has been nominated for the Associated Student Government (ASG) Professor of the Year award seven times (2009-2012, 2014, 2018, and 2021) and was named to the Center for the Enhancement of Learning, Teaching, and University Assessment’s list of the “Top 100 Faculty Commendation for Influence on Students” based on recommendations by students in Miami’s graduation surveys between 2009-2020. In 2017, he earned the Faculty Excellence in Career Development Award from Miami University’s Center for Career Exploration and Success for contributions to the Miami University Career Community. In 2016, Professor Lacker was awarded the prestigious William Holmes McGuffey Award (formerly the Alumni Association Effective Educator Award), which is awarded annually by the Miami University Alumni Association to one faculty or staff member whose impact extends beyond the traditional parameters of education.

In addition to his teaching responsibilities, Mark is the Founding Director of the Altman Summer Scholars Internship program, which annually provides more than 50 Entrepreneurship co-majors and minors the opportunity to work for organizations in entrepreneurial ecosystems across the US.