Divorce, Annulment, Legal Separation

Getting divorced is a major life-changing experience for you and your family. Some things to keep in mind are name change, address change, taxes, and insurance coverage.

Steps to Take When Getting a Divorce, Annulment, Legal Separation

  1. Update your marital status with the appropriate office—Human Resources (513-529-3131) or Academic Personnel Services (513-529-6724).
  2. If changing your name, complete the Name/Marital Status Change form and submit documentation of the legal change.
  3. Update your address in BannerWeb if needed.

Steps to Take Within 31 Days of the Qualifying Event if Insurance Coverage is Affected

  1. Complete the Insurance Coverage Change form to end coverage.
  2. Complete the Address Change for Dropped Dependent form for COBRA notification.
  3. Submit a copy of the court-ordered divorce papers.
  4. If you have voluntary life coverage for your ex-spouse, complete the Voluntary Life Insurance Change form to end coverage.
  5. Update your life insurance beneficiary as needed by completing the Beneficiary Election form (PDF 75KB).

What Happens Next?

  1. The change to your coverage will be effective the first of the month following the qualifying event date.
  2. Your updated information is sent to the insurance carriers on the following Monday.
  3. Premiums are adjusted as needed and the change will show on the next pay check following the submission of the change form.
  4. New health insurance cards will be mailed within two weeks to the mailing address on file in Banner.

Updating Tax Information

You may want to review your federal and state tax withholdings and make any necessary adjustments in BannerWeb, or by contacting payroll services at 513-529-6223 for assistance.