Job and Internship Preparation
Career Services and Professional Development offers many resources to prepare you for your job and internship search including building your network, writing your resume and cover letter, and developing your interview skills.
The job search is an exciting time! You have the chance to showcase your knowledge and accomplishments to land your dream job. But it can be hard to know where to get started. Here are a few tips for a successful job search.
Before beginning your job search, it’s important to prepare. Start thinking about your job search at least one to two semesters before you plan to graduate.Reflect on your goals, skills, and values. Focus your job search on areas where there’s a match.
- Research the industries that interest you. Identify possible job titles and companies. Connect with Miami alumni on LinkedIn to learn more about their career journeys.
- Make sure your resume is ready to go. Learn about cover letters and practice your interview skills.
- For extra tips, check out the College Grad's Guide to Getting Hired.
Navigating the Job Search
- Stay organized by using a spreadsheet to track companies you want to work for and positions you’ve applied for.
- Set up email alerts to be notified of opportunities on a regular basis.
- Don’t give up! Rejection is a part of the job search process. Given the competitive job market, you might apply for several jobs and only get one call for an interview. But one interview can be all it takes to land your dream job. Stay focused and be confident in yourself!
Where to Begin
Additional Job Search Resources
Other useful job search sites include Glassdoor.
Faculty and staff are here to help with the job search, too. Ask us for advice and about opportunities to connect with alumni and local employers. Miami Regionals hosts at least one career fair each semester. Make sure to attend career fairs to connect with employers and learn more about companies in our region.