Skip to Main Content
Excellence and Expertise Student Success Oxford and Beyond

FSB welcomes new cohort of Ryan Family Scholars

Three new Ryan Family Scholars have taken their place at the Farmer School of Business.

The scholars head shots
Jack Isphording, Naiya Brock, and Anthony Syeh

The John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship has announced its newest three Ryan Family Scholars for 2022-2023. Funded by a $1 million gift from Jim Ryan ’80 and his wife Michelle, the program takes a holistic approach to supporting student success and makes a Miami education possible for students with high financial needs.

This year’s scholars are:

• Jack Isphording, Supply Chain & Operations Management and Entrepreneurship major from Cincinnati
  • Naiya Brock, Political Science and Entrepreneurship major from Harrison
  • Anthony Syeh, Human Capital Management & Leadership and Entrepreneurship major from Toledo

“I actually missed the call informing me of my receiving the scholarship, so when I heard the voicemail, I was taken aback. I immediately called my dad and then the informer of the good news: the marvelous Michelle Thomas,” Isphording said. “I learned that I wouldn't have to worry about financing these four upcoming years — plus, I'd be given a network of support through the Passport Program and various opportunities like a guaranteed internship. Michelle and the Ryans made my once unimaginable imaginable.”

“After receiving the news that I would be a part of the new cohort of Ryan Scholars, I had a moment of pure shock. I do not think anything could have prepared me for that phone call, but I am excited for the journey that this amazing opportunity will provide,” Syeh said.

“Becoming a Ryan Scholar was such a blessing. Being a first-generation college student, I was very lost on the college process in general, let alone how to afford it. Before this I was still undecided on where I was going to college and I wanted to go somewhere that would feel like home,” Brock said. “Michelle Thomas reached out to my family about taking a tour. Giving the ins and outs of college helping me understand the process more. After the tour, I was leaning towards Miami but I still had my options open. My mother got the call and relayed it to me that I was a Ryan Scholar and I just knew this would be home.”

Ryan Family Scholars receive tuition, room and board, and fees up to $20,000 annually, dedicated academic and career advising, and are guaranteed internships through the John W. Altman Institute for Entrepreneurship's Altman Summer Scholars Internship Program. Students may major in any discipline, provided they are minoring or co-majoring in entrepreneurship.

The program includes access to the Farmer School’s unique Passport Program, a high-touch student success program for first-year students that provides an assigned academic advisor to give them dedicated academic and career advising, as well as further expand upon skills related to transitioning to college, career development, time management, study skills, and degree planning.

Previous cohorts: